What is a Bed room?
Don’t Believe the Hype
As the market starts to slow a little bit in the fall, we are seeing a new trend of homeowners & their realtors adding bedrooms. Bedrooms equal money. So you may ask when is a bedroom not a bedroom?
- If you have to walk through a bedroom to get to a bedroom. The second room can be a office, walk in closet, nursery or great storage room. What it cannot be is a bedroom.
- A room without heat cannot be called a bedroom. If it does not have in in the room it can not be considered living space.
- Basement bedrooms if under grade (underground) is not legal living space. If its not legal living space it can not a bedroom.
- No closet, no window, no bedroom. I see there are sometimes Large closets/offices in the newer condo complex’s. Yes they are big. Yes it’s a great bonus room but without a window do not count it as a bedroom.
- If there is no door it’s not a bedroom. A few months ago a realtor told my client that all she would have to do is build a wall & put a door & that’s your 3rdbedroom.
- In thoses houses on septic make sure the town has approved the septic for the amount of bedrooms that it has. If it is a 6 bedroom house and the title 5 says it is good for a 3 bedroom. Then either the home owner has to get a septic system for 6 bedrooms or it should be sold as a 3 bedroom.
- It the condo doc’s say it’s a 1 bedroom it is not a 2 bedroom. You may be able to see the bedroom walk into the bedroom. It is what the condo docs say it is.
I hope this blog post was helpful. As you start thinking of looking at properties let me know if there are any questions I can answer. I will check with the town or city hall.to make sure you get what you are paying for.